[MUD-Dev] RP thesis...

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Wed May 21 07:21:34 CEST 1997

On Tue, 20 May 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

> In <Pine.LNX.3.96.970519170804.777L-100000 at mpc.dyn.ml.org>, on
> 05/19/97
>    at 07:59 PM, Matt Chatterley <root at mpc.dyn.ml.org> said:
>
> >Yeah, this is an excellent case example. Alchohol will largely
> >increase healing rate (metabolism for all intents/purposes) as well
> >as providing another 'morale' booster for the troops (it's a good
> >thing for friends to have a pint together in the ideal warm and homey
> >inn type environment).
>
> Ignoring the obvious political incorectnesses (drinking alcohol for
> health), there's an implicit level of social engineering going on here
> which states that certain *social* environments are of necessity
> beneficial for the physical health of the player.  Do you really want
> to do that with all of its side implications?

Hmm. It's only a tad !PC, since larger amounts of drink should start to
have negative side effect (upto alchohol poisoning for those that attempt
to drink 50 double-gins, or somesuch, to heal lots).

Certainly the idea of morale (which could be enforced in the above
example) is something I want to carry through, and in a way, some social
environments *are* beneficial (a chance to relax after a stressful day,
and suchforth) - mind you, you're more likely to get hung over than healed
if you go out for a drink with the 'gang' in the sense above! ;)

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"Fishing is complete and utter madness."  -Spike Milligan