[MUD-Dev] RP thesis...

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Wed May 21 07:25:17 CEST 1997

On Tue, 20 May 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

> In <Pine.LNX.3.96.970518090712.185C-100000 at mpc.dyn.ml.org>, on
> 05/18/97
>    at 09:07 AM, Matt Chatterley <root at mpc.dyn.ml.org> said:
>
> >A troll might like to chow down on a goat's carcass after he biffs it
> >over the head, but a human would almost certainly cut it up and cook
> >it first. This is an important distinction. Different races will have
> >to eat slightly different things.
>
> Don't forget that cooked food is significantly less nourishing than
> uncooked.  As a friend once put it, "All cooking does is make food
> more dead."  There's a lot to be said for going au naturale, and I'd
> expect your players to notice that.

Quite true - most won't notice per se, though, I'd wager, since the
effects of food will be fairly subtle to healing, and most players won't
attempt eating raw carcasses, unless they're trollish, orcish, or
somesuch. :)

> >We have both normal rooms, and our own mappable virtual room areas,
> >you can create a map such as:
>
> >XXXXXXXXXX	X = impassable terrain
> >**########	* = swamp
> >*######@##	# = grassland
> >XXXXXXXXXX	@ = a lake
>
> >and set a scale for each room - this map would be converted into
> >normal rooms with randomly set sizes, descriptions, weather suited to
> >the area, and so forth.
>
> The problem with virtual rooms, which can be handled is when players
> make a change to a virtual room which requires them to become
> permanent, or the notice something in a virtual room and refer to it
> later expecting it to be permanent.
>
> eg:
>
>   > l
>   You are in a forest...(desc of forest)
>   > cut blaze on tree
>   You cut your sigil on a nearby tree.
>
> or:
>
>   > l
>   You are in a forest...yada yada something about an oak tree.
>   ...much later...
>   > say "Just go east in the forest until you see the Oak tree,
>   and then head west..."

<g> I think this would either be disallowed, or chances of seeing
landmarks on a small scale would vary with the size of the room (a room is
being given to represent an area of land, most likely, on a set scale,
which could be quite large). It depends really. :)

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"Fishing is complete and utter madness."  -Spike Milligan