[MUD-Dev] Internal Mud Languages

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 26 12:46:15 CEST 1997

> From: Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com>
> At 10:49 PM 5/25/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
> >PCCTS code is the most readable, but I have yet to find a good
> >example of a simple virtual machine using PCCTS.
>
> Erm...
>
> I don't follow this. PCCTS is for building langauge compielrs and
> translartors, not VMs.

Right. I am looking for a descriptive/simple sample of the whole task
from source language to target VM implementation.

There are many YACC and PCCTS grammar samples with good descriptions
of the source.  Scott Stanchfield's PCCTS example and tutorial is
excellent.  That is, I am able to follow it *grin*.

I have found little help in the "target" area or PCCTS output whether
it be native 486 code or tokenized output to some undefined VM.

Maybe I should be a little more specific.  Are there any sample/simple
documented VMs available?  In particular, those designed with 486
architecture in mind?

PCCTS and BISON would seem to be overkill for me in the translation
department.  In particular, I am extremely leery of PCCTS's ability
to clean-up its memory with the C++ implementation.

JL