[MUD-Dev] Spoken Languages & Food [was RP thesis...]

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Fri May 30 17:39:04 CEST 1997

In <Pine.GSO.3.95.970530083525.1126B-100000 at xi>, on 05/30/97
   at 08:14 AM, Travis S Casey <casey at nu.cs.fsu.edu> said:

>On Thu, 29 May 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

>> IRL even a 10% damage quotient would have you doubled over on the
>> ground incapable of much more than mindless moans.  Movie and MUD
>> characters are built of firmer stuff where even multiple .44 Magnum
>> shells to the torso classify as "flesh wounds".

>Well... how people will take damage can be very unpredictable,

...examples of cognisant handling of injuries by the injured
deleted...

Agreed.  It was a silly point.  I have some personal familiarity with
this: some years ago I caught a car.  The result was multiple
fractures of the tibia (I lost a 2" length just above the ankle),
comound fractures of the femur (he poked out of the thigh for a breath
of fresh air), 30% skin loss for the left leg, and near gangrene of
the foot (it lived).  Suffice to say I was concious throughout the
impact and from there until unwillingly drugged into insanity at the
hospital.  After being hit I sat up, observed and located the various
injuries, located an articulate bystander, gave him a quarter, and
told him who to call and what to tell them, and otherwise directed
affairs as best I could determine when immobile in the middle of an
inter-state highway.

This is not to say that this is either common or that I'd wish to do
it again.  Just that it can be done, and the game should account for
both possibilities.

>Don't get me wrong -- I agree that characters should be penalized for
>damage more than they are.  I just don't agree that most  people
>would be rolling around screaming on the floor at 10% damage.  :-)

Quite, tho one may debate the definition of 10%.  Is that 10% of body
mass lost?  etc.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com