[MUD-Dev] Rooms, 3D arrays, etc.

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Fri May 30 17:54:38 CEST 1997

In <9705280654.82jw at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA>, on 05/27/97
   at 11:24 PM, cg at ami-cg.graysage.edmonton.ab.ca (Chris Gray) said:

>OK, I'll try to dump what I can remember of my tentative plans in
>this realm. I want a really big world, my thinking is 2^32 x 2^32
>(why not!). It would basically be a layered fractal terrain. That
>gives me the third dimension - calculated by the fractal generation
>algorithm. The way one common fractal landscape generator works is by
>starting with one point, wrapped as four corners of a square. At each
>step, you bisect each edge of your current square, average and
>perturb the endpoint heights, and mark the height of the middle of
>the edge. The middle of the square gets height from all four corners.
>[I've got code for this if some of you haven't seen this algorithm.]

Amazing how similar this is to some ideas I've been playing with, tho
I wasn't using a coordinate system and a dynamic R*-Tree, not a grid.
I'll get back to you on this one.

>What I haven't quite figured out is how to be able to repeatably
>generate the height for any given co-ordinates within the world.

If you use fixed seeds which _are_ stored in the DB, then shouldn't
the algorithm repeat when you interpolate between your fixed and known
seeds?

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com