[MUD-Dev] Re: OT: threading list messages

Alex Oren alexo at bigfoot.com
Thu Nov 6 10:32:42 CET 1997

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997 21:39:55 PST8PDT, coder at ibm.net wrote:

} >My email reader has problems keeping the list messages properly threaded.
}
} >There are two reasons for this:
}
}   1) Your reader ignored the (In-)Reply-To: headers.

Nope, I just set it up to start a new thread when a subject changes.
You'll probably agree that, even on this list, threads sometimes spawn several
totally unrelated (but equally interesting <g>) threads.  So blindly relying on
the "In-Reply-To:" header is not sufficient.

Also, as I mentioned before, the option is global in my email/news reader so I
cannot apply it only to the mud-dev folder.

More than that, I only save the messages that interest me enough to be worth a
future re-reading.  Most of the "In-Reply-To:" headers therefore point to
non-existant messages.

}   2) You reader is overly literal on threading by sibject.

Well, i've grown attached to it...

} >1. Appending "[MUD-Dev]" to the subject, and
}
} Which is, theoretically a constant.  All messages have it prepended, so it
} should not register a change.

However, the optional "Re:" *after* it is not.

} >2. The number of spaces between the "[MUD-Dev]" and the subject is not
} >constant.
}
} Actually its worse than that.  Certain mailers used by members insert
} extra spaces, some insert TABs.  Steward processes them all, blindly.

Seems to me you might be the one to blame.
Your message has two spaces after the [Mud-Dev].

} Ignoring the mailers which don't generate In-Reply-To: headers (which we
} have thankfully few of on the list), In-Reply-To is the way to thread.

1. What do you suggest to do when the subject changes to signify a totally
   unrelated discussion?

2. What do you suggest to do when the message referenced in the "In-Reply-To:"
   field is no longer available?

} Unfortunately nothing is going to happen very quickly.  I'm on a new
} contract at SunSoft, and have a boat load of work that I have to get done
} before a deadline in a fortnight.

I have patience.

} Progress from there rests on a decision I'm going to be making as soon as
} I get a chance, (I've got another kid due in a few more weeks as well, so
} all bets are off).

Congrats!  We're expecting our first in about two and a half months.

} Welcome.  Sorry if I've been a bit curt -- gotta go run and fight with a
} firewall.

Go get it!

--
Have fun,