[MUD-Dev] A flamewar startingpoint.)

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sat Nov 22 10:49:51 CET 1997

On Fri 21 Nov, Jon A. Lambert wrote:

> This seems to be the biggest area of difficulty.  I wish to avoid the
> arcade-like quality to combat (fastest reflexes win), add a more
> thoughtful approach (cf. JCL's combat scripts), yet preserve a sense
> of urgency (a time limit on decisions) without imposing excessive lag
> on players.

I have been thinking on this. The idea to have to code to be playing the
game does not appeal to me, and I think is excessive trouble.  Currently
combat is handled very poorly in my opinion.  Why not try to find a mid-
dle ground? E.g. there exist a variety of attack and defense patterns. A
player must choose which of those his character will attempt,  of course
to the best of its abilities. If you don't say anything at all your cha-
will fight mostly defensive and try only the most obvious of openings in
its opponent's attacks.  But as a player you can say "aim left or aim at
the head."  and your character would concentrate on  achieving those two
goals as long as you (it) know the suitable defense patterns. If the op-
ponent is not skilled in defending those points eventually there will be
an opening there. I think that the combat descriptions should focus more
on the attack and defense patterns than on the force of the blow like it
is now. E.g. "The black knight aims for your left arm. You can block the
blow with your shield but your arm is getting heavy."  rather than  "The
black knight annihilates you with his sword."

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey