[MUD-Dev] Introductions and

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Sat Nov 22 16:44:36 CET 1997

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Marian Griffith wrote:

> On Wed 19 Nov, Richard Woolcock wrote:
> > Matt Chatterley wrote:
> > > On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Mike Sellers wrote:
>
> > On the mention of sexuality, I am probably going to code in a couple of
> > Flaw - homosexual and bisexual.  Not that I have anything against people
> > of those particular persuasions, but not being able to have children
> > (homosexual) and being able to be seduced by people of either gender
> > (bisexual) are what I consider disadvantages.
>
> This is off topic and I know I should not respond to this, but .. why?

Assuming a political and social environment similar to the present-day, I
would certainly consider sexual preferences which diverge from what much
of society perceives as 'normal' to be disadvantages in these lights.
Being unable to produce offspring is 'bad' from a biological point of
view.

Without meaning to stir anyone up, provoke any flammable discussion or so
forth (I should probably shut up now, actually!): From a number of points
of view, I could happily believe that bisexuality to some degree is a more
normal state of being for humans than heterosexuality, BUT society
perceives the latter as being normal, thus making the former seem
politically and *morally* unacceptable on several levels.

On the personal level, I hold that moral values are in a state of flux,
and if they are not, something is wrong.

> > I still don't know how I'm going to code seduction though.  Hopefully the
> > emotional responce thing will help.
>
> I think this is all you can reasonably do. Otherwise you are writing a
> story, not creating a game.

I agree. This is one of those places where you can place 'code props', but
must sit back and let the characters do the rest.

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
"I shall never believe that God plays dice with the world." -Einstein