[MUD-Dev] Introductions and

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Sat Nov 22 16:47:15 CET 1997

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Marian Griffith wrote:

> On Wed 19 Nov, Adam Wiggins wrote:
> > > A good example is making a statement like '.. and you find her very
> > > attractive.'.
>
> > I find using the word 'you' or 'your' or otherwise making statements about
> > the person who is viewing the desc to be abhorent.  Even when I was
> > writing areas for other muds, I made it a rule to avoid this.   It was
> > difficult at first, but now that I'm in the habbit of it it's quite easy,
> > and I think the overall quality of the descriptions in improved 100% by
> > using this style.
>
> The problem in the example is not the use of 'you' but in the use of the
> words 'find attractive'.  There is nothing particularly wrong with using
> a phrase like 'You see a castle in the distance',  as long as you do not
> make assumptions about how the player is to interpret it.  And even then
> at times it is justified to qualify an appearance of something. E.g. "It
> is ominously quiet."  tells how the player interprets  her surroundings.
> This is justified however  if it is a warning for a dangerous area  that
> lies ahead,  without totally dropping out of character.

Yes, I agree. To rephrase what Adam said; when words similar or related to
'you' are used to imply anything which is not strictly factual
(environmental), but rather which is dependant upon feelings or thoughts
on the part of player or character which may vary with individuals,
something is wrong.

"You feel terrified as you view the castle upon the hill.."

is not always going to be correct, but

"The castle set upon the hill in the distance casts an ominous shadow
before you."

is correct (assuming noone blows up the castle), and leaves you to draw
your own emotional conclusions.

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
"I shall never believe that God plays dice with the world." -Einstein