[MUD-Dev] Re: Less numbers, more roleplaying.

Adam Wiggins nightfall at user2.inficad.com
Fri Nov 28 01:30:43 CET 1997

[Richard Woolcock:]
> Adam Wiggins wrote:
> > < score
> > You are level 287.
> > < say hey guys, want some quick exp?
> > You say, 'Hey guys, want some quick exp?'
> > <
> > Joe the Newbie says, 'Oh Boy!'
> > <
> > Joe the Newbie begins following you.
> > Boffo the Newbie begins following you.
> > Buffy the Newbie begins following you.
> > Billy the Newbie begins following you.
> > Bernard the Newbie begins following you.
> > < tell Bubba heh, heh, just got myself 5 free rounds against the dragon
>
> Or the other alternative...
>
> Joe the Newbie begins following you.
> Boffo the Newbie begins following you.
> Buffy the Newbie begins following you.
> Billy the Newbie begins following you.
> Bernard the Newbie begins following you.
>
> 30 seconds later...
>
> Info -> Joe has gained a level!
> Info -> Boffo has gained a level!
> Info -> Buffy has gained a level!
> Info -> Billy has gained a level!
> Info -> Bernard has gained a level!
>
> 2 minutes later...
>
> Info -> Joe has gained a level!
> Info -> Boffo has gained a level!
> Info -> Buffy has gained a level!
> Info -> Billy has gained a level!
> Info -> Bernard has gained a level!
>
> 5 minutes later...
>
> Info -> Joe has gained a level!
> Info -> Boffo has gained a level!
> Info -> Buffy has gained a level!
> Info -> Billy has gained a level!
> Info -> Bernard has gained a level!
>
> Etc...
>
> I consider this a _BAD_ thing.

Okay, well if you've got experience points (which I dislike for a lot
of reasons, especially the stuff above) then yes, this is a problem.
Of course, if you assign experience to a group based on the
relative worth of each party member, it's a little more reasonable.
Thus in the above example, the high-level character would get 995
experience for a kill and each newbie would get 1.