[MUD-Dev] Usability and interface

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Wed Oct 1 13:41:26 CEST 1997

In <Pine.LNX.3.96.970927211744.157E-100000 at mpc.dyn.ml.org>, on
09/27/97
   at 01:36 PM, Matt Chatterley <root at mpc.dyn.ml.org> said:

>Level is also too abstract for many of those on this list, given
>their intents gamewisedly. I think a brief, verbose, (hah!)
>description would probably serve better here.

Tho they don't tend to be among the more active members, there are
several on this list who really like the concept of levels as
standardly implemented in hack'n'slash MUDs, and consider it a fine
and workable system.  AFAIR Keegan has already stated he's in that
camp (buried in RL alas).  There are others.

I consider that the term "level" itself has a real use on the list.
It can be used as a simple moniker to indicate a skill or expertise
disparity between two players without specifiying the details.  As
such it can be used to concetrate attention on the result of the
disparity as versus its causes.  eg:

  "If a low level character tries XXX a high level character..."

The actual specifics of what makes one low level and the other high
level are moot and implicitly uninteresting.  For the metrics which
affect the interaction under discussion, one is at an advantage over
the other as defined by that great term, "level".  At this level of
abstraction it really doesn't matter what the key points of the
difference really is, just that it exists.  The key interest is what
the imapct and result of that undefined advantage might be.

Level also has another use, in that it names advantages which are
defined within the game-system, as versus advantages due to the human
player's ability, knowledge, or skill.  eg:

  "A high level character played poorly will usually lose against a
low level character played expertly..."

Level in this context not only clearly indicates that the former
character is the one at an advantage within the game system (for
whatever reason), but allows it to be contrasted with the expertise of
the humans controlling those characters.

Nahh, even for games that have no real concept of levels, the term
itself still has real value.  How else would you, say, simply compare
two characters on a skill-web based game, each with vastly different
skill webs, but with almost comparable fighting ability?  Uhh, Bubba
has a bit better short sword skill, but Boffo's thumb wrestling skill
outclasses him...?  Does it really matter in a generalist discussion?

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com