[MUD-Dev] string parsing

Felix A. Croes felix at xs1.simplex.nl
Fri Oct 31 13:13:03 CET 1997

Jon A. Lambert <jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On 30 Oct 97 at 10:58, Felix A. Croes wrote:
> > I am writing the entire function as a server builtin, using lazy DFA
> > construction, lazy DPDA construction, with the appropriate amount of
> > caching between calls, etc.
> >

> Just curious. What do DPDA and DFA stand for?

DFA:  Deterministic Finite Automaton
DPDA: Deterministic Push Down Automaton

The entire sentence means something like, "I am doing my best to make
this thing as efficient as can be."

If you want to know more about these automatons and their relations to
regular expressions and context-free grammars, I recommend

    Aho, Sethi, Ullman, "Compilers, principles, techniques, and tools",
    Addison-Wesley 1986.

Felix Croes