[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD Universe

Nathan Yospe yospe at hawaii.edu
Mon Sep 1 23:42:09 CEST 1997

On Sun, 31 Aug 1997 S001GMU at nova.wright.edu wrote:

:[[List owner comment:  Yet another post fractured by a broken mail server.
:Some lines may be missing here.  <sigh>]]

<forking off microcosms>

:>Since I do this myself (see about five months ago for my last post on the
:>subject.... sorry.) I will have to pipe in here... "It works". The only
:>thing is, you have to do something about conversations between people with
:>alternate histories. I tend to change names... so the name of a place slated
:>for this sort of continual reincarnation is actually set to a phonetic
:>variable seeded with the name of the viewer. I can go into more detail if you
:>are interested.

:I am quite interested.  If you limit the players who can enter the alternate
:universe to the one player who created it, I really don't see how that makes
:the game a MUD, at least not as I understand/want my MUD to be.  Please
:elaborate, and attempt to convince me!  :)

:-Greg

Does anyone still have any of my old posts on the topic? They figured
heavilly into my contributions to the "quest" threads. The concept is simple:
one can only enter a version of the subworld in the company of someone who
has access to that version, save the "pristine" state. Access is granted to
anyone present at the moment of a critical worldchange, or upon first
introduction to a changed version. Once access has been gained to a
nonpristine version, access to all other versions (save derived versions)
is impossible. Access rules are somewhat similar to the hypnogourds in
Xanthony's rather abysmal punfest series. Entry in company fixes you and your
companions to the most corrupted alternate. Bands with multiple corrupted
versions of a region may become seperated.

--

"You? We can't take you," said the Dean, glaring at the Librarian.
"You don't know a thing about guerilla warfare." - Reaper Man,