[MUD-Dev] RP=MUSH/PG=MUD

Martin Keegan martin at cam.sri.com
Wed Sep 3 00:04:30 CEST 1997

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

> In <Pine.GSO.3.96.970814042027.31H-100000 at dryslwyn>, on 08/13/97
>    at 08:41 PM, Martin Keegan <martin at cam.sri.com> said:
>
> >Well, if the effect you're trying to achieve involves loads of old
> >druid blokes crouched round a dolmen chanting their magical
> >incantataions, and the player hears their names: Drynhirth, Eltanel,
> >Griniath, Renfrwyn and Calidorn, you don't want someone (*) renaming
> >them Knknkqqkl, Samfox, Dagon, and Azazoth, as this destroys the
> >consistency of the world.
>
> Why does this destroy internal consistancy?  The renames are private
> to the characters that assign them.  Thus while Bubba may do the name
> assignments you see above, and would then see those names about the
> dolmen, Boffo would still continue to see the same old original names
> as he as *not* assigned new names.

<concession>
Yeah, Ok. You and JeffK have convinced me that you might not be wrong.
</concession>

> Note also that I don't give NPC's names.  They may state that they

Ah. The reason we disagree here is that we're designing fundamentally
different muds. If you've got a mud with NPCs playing historical
characters, you probably don't want someone renaming Adolf Hitler to
'Boopsie'.

> >(*) does anyone know who Knknkqqkl *was*, BTW ;)?
>
> <ponder>
>
> It rings bells for one of the characters in "The Far Sea".

BZZZZZZZZZZRT!

One of Alan Cox's characters on MUD1.

Kill Next Knight  Next Knight  Quick Quit  Keep Living

Mk