[MUD-Dev] Modeling spells/skills as collections of affects

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Wed Sep 3 13:05:08 CEST 1997

S001GMU at nova.wright.edu wrote:

> Spell
> construction would consist of building the query (would definately want some
> interface here so that ppl don't have to learn SQL to create spells on the
> MUD!),

WAIT! WAIT! The language of magic! This is a GREAT idea!

Translate all the SQL syntax into pseudo-Latin words, give your database
fields odd names, and make people type in the queries in this strange
fictional language. That would be so cool.

Well, it would be cool for us programmers, anyway. I'm sure the average
schmuck who just wants to play a wizard would be really annoyed by it.
;>

> This would work well for simple, straight forward spells, but I can see the
> query getting quite complicated for spells that are dependant on a lot of
> conditions

The more complex spells would by necessity become longer and more
involved. I like that. :)