[MUD-Dev] Usability and interface and who the hell is suppo

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 25 13:17:45 CEST 1997

On 24 Sep 97 at 9:59, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 24, 1997 4:29 AM, clawrenc at cup.hp.com
> [SMTP:clawrenc at cup.hp.com] wrote:
> >
> > Reese reports that being a fisherman, and thus spending ones play time
> > sittting about fishing and telling stories is popular with a certain
> > set of players.  One could easily imagine a similar scenario for
> > musicians sitting about strumming and swapping songs.
>
> Note that you would not actually need a fishing skill or musical instrument
> skill for either of the above. I agree, musicians are a nice thing, they
> contribute vastly to the enjoyment of the world; but why do we actually
> need game mechanics to handle it?

I can easily imagine an entire game geared around musical talents.
Where magic and combat are inextricably linked to music and musical
instruments.  Methinks I recall several fantasy novels where this was
the case?

> "It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more
> doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than the creation of a
> new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by
> the preservation of the old institution, and merely lukewarm defenders in
> those who would gain by the new one."                      -- Machiavelli

*Cheers!*
He's number 3 on my top ten favorite "philosophers" all time.  :)

--
Jon A. Lambert

If I'd known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself.