[MUD-Dev] GRUMPS

Sat Apr 4 16:23:53 CEST 1998

[Frank Crowell:]

:One advantage to creating GRUMPS is that anything
:could be converted to GRUMPS, or GRUMPS converted to anything.

That's a very large order. It essentially means that GRUMPS has to be
at least as powerful a system as any other system out there. That's
going to be very difficult to do. Keep in mind that lots of MUDs use
a lot of custom code, and allow players to create an almost unlimited
range of things, by allowing unlimited user programming. That means
you have to have a dynamic in-MUD language that can effectively emulate
the languages of all other MUDs.

I've been thinking a bit about what it would take to be able to import
sources or "zones" from other MUDs into a generic system done with my
MUD system. Parts could be automated, but any such conversion is going
to require hand work as well. Consider LP - I would have to write an
LP compiler using my in-MUD language, and compile the LP code into
equivalent MUD-code for my system. Theoretically possible, but a vast
amount of work, and for what advantage?

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA