[MUD-Dev] internet connections

Sun Apr 5 08:42:39 CEST 1998

[I've changed the subject here]

:I did some more searching for my own amusement.  Looks like they won't
:be ready in my neighborhood for about a year...  The modem's are made Bay
:Networks..can't remember the exact name, Lan-something.
:
:Here's the cable co's FAQ page:
:
:http://www.phx.cox.com/internet/cox@home/faqs/modem/
:
:Looks like the modem can do 10Mbps both ways!!  The theoretical max of the
:cable seems to be around 30Mbps down, 10Mbps up.  However, that said, I
:seriously doubt you'd approach that.  I've had a hard time finding real
:numbers here..and would be interested if you saw any...

Great, thanks - I'll forward that to my friend. He was here last night
playing cards, and we talked about the service that his company (he works
for Shaw Fibre-Link) is putting into my immediate area starting next week
or so! The modems are configurable up to 8 Mbs either way, and he
checked the configs and it looks like I'll get 8 Mbs to me, and 1 Mbs from
me (upstream). Price is $40.00/month (Canadian), with no modem rental, and
possibly no connection/installation fee if I sign up at one of the their
local marketing blitzes, which he is going to check into for me. No fixed
IP of course, be another friend is already running a mini-DNS that is
dynamically updated for his cable modem, so I should be able to hook up
with him and have mine done, too. So, things are looking good here!

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA