[MUD-Dev] Meta: who dat guy, wot dat web?

Katrina McClelan kitkat at the486.bradley.edu
Tue Apr 7 12:29:01 CEST 1998

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998 coder at ibm.net wrote:

> Writing as list owner:
>
>   This came up before, as well as the concern with spammers skimming the
> pages for email addresses.  To this end all email addresses on the web
> pages in the message headers, bodies and signatures, will be munged.
> Currently I munge them simply: translating the at-sign ("@") to a hash
> ("#").  I can easily go further and translate periods to commas, or even
> the at-sign to the string " at ", or use random selection from a number of
> patterns.
>
>   The form of the munging is (will be) clearly stated on the web pages.

That is probably sufficient.  I personally just delete the spam.  Then I
have no limit on HD space and don't have to download it all over a modem,
and I can quite easily see why people would dislike it.  :)

> >Of course, we're all "elitist" according to some people on usenet anyway
> >:)
>
> Truth to tell; by simple definition this is an implicitly elitist society.
> I'm also damned proud of that fact.

I know, and expressly agree.

> There are problems with keeping the list compleatly closed, the most
> significant of which are that without more active recruitment of new
> members (I think three of us are reponsible for almost the entire current
> membership (getting close to 100)) and the resulting import of new topics
> the list will eventually die either thru endless topical incest (we all
> know what each other is doing, and have hashed over the same weary old
> coals too many times to be interested) or simple lack of relevance.

Ok, I'll stand corrected.  "Surely I spoke of things I did not understand,
things to wonderful for me to know" (Job 42:3)  :)

-Katrina