[MUD-Dev] [META] Mailing lists

Travis S. Casey efindel at io.com
Tue Apr 7 14:50:19 CEST 1998

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Katrina McClelan wrote:

> While this is true, any list on a popular topic (like muds) that can
> attract people like the "Midgaard is kewl" types is going to have LOTS of
> white noise if left totally open.  I just cringe thinking about it because
> I can quite clearly see stuff like the Mud on Win95 and how to do
> (something trivial if you have a clue) to ROM posts by people.  I even bet
> we'd get the coder wanted crap too  :P
>
> Some kind of selection criteria is needed for who is allowed to post
> unless you want a ton of meaningless stuff like the stuff we ignore in
> r.g.m.a.

Yes, but it need not be before-the-fact selection.  On a closed mailing
list, it's easy to throw out those who won't abide by the stated policy.
(Which I think is fairly clearly stated right now in the invitation, and
could be included in the initial message to new subscribers if we go
"open".)

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_        Travis S. Casey  <efindel at io.com>
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)      http://www.io.com/~efindel/design.html