[MUD-Dev] Re: (fwd) Re: code for teleport

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Tue Apr 7 21:50:03 CEST 1998

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998 coder at ibm.net wrote:

> An old post I'd meant to cross to the list but didn't:
>
> From: "Thomas D. Lowe" <dlowe at boxtopsoft.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.games.mud.admin
> Subject: Re: code for teleport
> Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 18:41:38 -0500
>
> Greg Munt wrote:
>  > a Midgaardian mayor who cannot be permanently disabled :-)  I've
>  > had repeated requests for a "dimensional gate" spell that would
>  > open an exit to a room of a player's choosing, that would remain
>  > open for a while and through which anyone can walk.  That's one
>  > we reject.
>
> Note on this...
>
> On the mud I coded and am (still) working on, we scummed an idea off of
> Raymond E. Fiest's Riftwar trilogy.  In every mage guild, there's a
> "pattern room," with various "patterns" inside.  Mages cast teleport on a
> particular pattern (which is described by words like wavy, woven, etc. --
> they have to figure out what goes to which) and are themselves teleported
> to another pattern room in another guild. Since teleport is on the
> upper-mid level range on our mud, it works out well for enabling
> transportation to different parts of the world, without actually putting
> them into a "zone for killing things and getting xp."

I have spells that will open a portal to another PC, and which will
remain open for a short amount of time.  It is a one-way path at mid
levels, but higher levels can open two-way portals.  I got so caught up
in the coding that I didn't think too much about what this would do to
game play.  However, I don't see it as disasterous....

> --
> J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
> ----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net
> ...Honourary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html