[MUD-Dev] GRUMPS

maddog at best.com maddog at best.com
Wed Apr 8 20:54:21 CEST 1998

J C Lawrence wrote:

> I'm curious:
>
>   Why do you consider that NPC's, even complex NPC's would have more
> code backing them than player characters?

I should have said "could".  NPCs are not as complex as they could be.
I believe that really complex NPCs or bots will not be mud resident.
They will be some variation of julia/colins.  In fact at least one MOO
NPC is a modfied colin and there have been a few other colins sprinkled
around some other muds.  Unfortunately I got some of the MOO colins going
by making available my version called madborg.  It wasn't until
I tried to interface madborg to a database server that I realized
he had a fatal flaw.

The complex NPCs I have in mind are the future ones that will
be made up of NLP, FSMs, expert systems, and even
neural nets.  Or maybe just plenty of ordinary coding.

> If anything I find the reverse here.  Characters tend to become very
> buff with custom code (cf LambdaMOO), while NPC's starve for such
> attention.

frank