[MUD-Dev] META: membership (was a fruitful exchange on classlessness in r.g.m.admin)

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Fri Apr 10 18:46:06 CEST 1998

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998 coder at ibm.net wrote:

> On 09/04/98 at 06:38 PM, Ben Greear <greear at cyberhighway.net> said:
>
> >Then again, might it just be better to envite the good apples over to
> >this list?
>
> That is exactly the intention of giving y'all the power to invite others
> to the list: that you'd note and find people you think would do well on
> the list and invite the,  How else do you think *you* ended up here?
> Someone noticed you...
>
> >Is Holly on here?  She has been around for years and remained
> >relatively sane :)
>
> Nope.  She's knew to me.  If you think she'd be a good list member, then
> invite her!

Holly, I've seen your posts on RGMA and am extending an invitation to
join the mud-dev mailing list.  Its a private list, and we keep it
very high signal to noise.  Personal attacks are not welcome, but you
wouldn't be seeing this from me if I thought you would...

The good part is that I don't know exactly how to go about
doing this :P

I'll try to get you a more formal invitation scared up, with
actual directions as to what you should do to join.

If I remember right, try sending mail to mud-dev at null.net with
subscribe <email_addr> in the body...

> >If we go public on the list, then cross-posting might allow the best of
> >both worlds:  good thoughtful content on this one, and perhaps a
> >rejuvination of thought on rgma.
>
> My own views are oft stated on this area: the field can't yet fruitfully
> support two seperate venues without signifcant loss; if we do leave Usenet
> as-is as the main active forum the field is going to die, guaranteed,
> within 5 years (probably less); and I don't think Usenet is worth saving
> or working with (yet).  Unfortunately that leaves me with a me vs Usenet
> problem hidden by a thin veneer of trite civility.  <shrug>  I'm just this
> guy with an agenda, ya know?

You've got a point, but I think that even just CC'ing this group's
posts to RGMA might offer those who are looking for it a glimpse
of civility and thought that they otherwise would not find.  AFAIK
RGMD and RGMA spawned many of us, I know it did me.

I'm not suggesting that we allow losers to post here as they wish
however, they should have to pass some kind of minimal decency test :P

I still think it would be a shame to allow RGM* to die though..although
I am at a loss as to how to save them from themselves...

> --
> J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
> ----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net
> ...Honourary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html