[MUD-Dev] Character development [was Re: ]

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Wed Apr 15 09:50:40 CEST 1998

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998 20:06:55 PST8PDT
s001gmu <s001gmu at nova.wright.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Apr 1998 17:00:55 PST8PDT Cimri <cimri1 at gte.net> wrote:

>>> Forget built-in pre-defined guilds.  Throw 'em out.  They don't
>>> fix anything.  They often, if not always, reinforce the class
>>> systems I also don't like.  Away with them!

>> My temptation would be to do nothing, watch carefully what the
>> players attempt to do for themselves, and then gradually start
>> backing their efforts with code.

> One large problem to overcome is the players who wander over from
> other muds and see no guilds.  The first thing they are going to do
> is call for guilds, and push towards them.  Not because they solve a
> problem, but because that is what they are used to.  You have to
> find a way to eliminate the guild-bias of previous mud players in
> order for something (dare I say?) pure to emerge.

Quite.  I expect that time will dod that wonder for you.  Bring the
players in and then just don't do anything for several months.
They'll attempt to recreate the familiar, and then they'll mutate that
familiar to fit local requirements.  /Then/ support that.  It would
take a delicate touch of course.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com