[MUD-Dev] META: Web site backgrounds and readability

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 15 13:02:59 CEST 1998

> From: J C Lawrence <claw at under.engr.sgi.com>
>
>   How readable are the pages on *your* system with *your* browser?
> Are they too dark?  Do they make reading difficult?

Looks fine under IE 3.02 and 4.01 at 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024.
It also looks good under Web Explorer at 1024x768. I found no readability
problems with the italics.

BTW, I agree with most of Caliban's comments on the right/left issue.  I
would
also point out that one can fix position text/buttons on the left and also
fix their
widths if you use buttons.  While buttons/text on the right side are
"floating"
depending on browser resolution, unless you hardcode specific dimensions.
But then you'll be hard coding for the lowest common denominator 640x480,
leaving a great deal of blank space on the right for anyone who exceeds
that
resolution.  Still it's quite workable until you get into frames.  Fixing a

navigation frame on the right in most browsers is very ugly.

--
Jon Lambert