[MUD-Dev] MAPPING: Creating a bitmaped graphic from map coordinates

John Bertoglio alexb at internetcds.com
Wed Apr 22 17:17:06 CEST 1998

------=_NextPart_000_006C_01BD6E12.799645C0

Graphic wizards please take a look at this problem. I suspect the =
solution
is trivial but it is beyond me!

Here's the problem:

We have a mud world with main grid of 1200 by 800 cells. Each of those =
cells
is stored in a database along with x,y coordinate information, cell =
color,
terrain type, etc. I have written a simple mapping function which maps =
local
areas using HTML tables. These work pretty well but since the minimum =
size
on a 17 inch monitor is about a 1/4 inch square, it is not possible to
render large areas or even consider the whole map.

Here's what I need:

I can write my data to any text configuration. The only format I am =
aware of
which has a native text format is Postscript. This is impractical since =
don't want to try to write a million cells to this format since it would =
be
huge. Also, I would have to learn the innerworkings of postscript, which
look like real work. I know this is possible because tiled games do this
(our maps would just be single pixel tiles...) on a smaller scale. I =
know I
am missing something here.

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

We have the latest PhotoShop so any format supported by that product =
would
work.

Thank you.

------=_NextPart_000_006C_01BD6E12.799645C0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR> </DIV></FONT>
<DIV>Graphic wizards please take a look at this problem. I suspect the=20
solution<BR>is trivial but it is beyond me!<BR><BR>Here's the =
problem:<BR><BR>We=20
have a mud world with main grid of 1200 by 800 cells. Each of those =
cells<BR>is=20
stored in a database along with x,y coordinate information, cell=20
color,<BR>terrain type, etc. I have written a simple mapping function =
which maps=20
local<BR>areas using HTML tables. These work pretty well but since the =
minimum=20
size<BR>on a 17 inch monitor is about a 1/4 inch square, it is not =
possible=20
to<BR>render large areas or even consider the whole map.<BR><BR>Here's =
what I=20
need:<BR><BR>I can write my data to any text configuration. The only =
format I am=20
aware of<BR>which has a native text format is Postscript. This is =
impractical=20
since I<BR>don't want to try to write a million cells to this format =
since it=20
would be<BR>huge. Also, I would have to learn the innerworkings of =
postscript,=20
which<BR>look like real work. I know this is possible because tiled =
games do=20
this<BR>(our maps would just be single pixel tiles...) on a smaller =
scale. I=20
know I<BR>am missing something here.<BR><BR>Any help would be =
appreciated=20
greatly.<BR><BR>We have the latest PhotoShop so any format supported by =
that=20
product would<BR>work.<BR><BR>Thank you.<BR><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_006C_01BD6E12.799645C0--

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.