[MUD-Dev] Re: MAPPING: Creating a bitmaped graphic from map coordinates

Vadim Tkachenko vt at freehold.crocodile.org
Fri Apr 24 00:59:48 CEST 1998

J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:17:06 -0700
> John Bertoglio<alexb at internetcds.com> wrote:

[skipped]

> First thought: I'd suggest dynamically generating .GIF's of the map
> (perhaps even a single large .GIF covering the entire world), and then
> exporting from that a sub-.GIF to the client for the segment he's
> interested in.  The .GIF format is widely documetned, quite simple,
> and has extensive libraries available for its manipulation.

Don't you have to have a license to be able to produce the GIF files?
I'm currently working on a map project which invokes heavy imaging, and
GIF was rejected for that reason (I remember VERY high figures, like
flat $80K/year for using it).

>  PNG is another (quite likely better) format.  JPEG would seem problemic.

TIFF is good, as I remember, but its advantage of being flexible is also
a disadvantage at the same time - it's too damn difficult to implement,
unless you implement a limited subset. But, also, it supports tiling,
which may be useful from a MUD standpoint.

--
Still alive and smile stays on,
Vadim Tkachenko <vt at freehold.crocodile.org>

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.