[MUD-Dev] Re: PK and my "Mobless MUD" idea

Ling K.L.Lo-94 at student.lboro.ac.uk
Wed Apr 29 13:41:47 CEST 1998

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

> However, the Greek
> gods also played by some rather sticky rules in their own world, and
> wouldn't very well be able to do something like create a powerful monster
> with no weakness

Heavy Gear (paper rpg) has an interesting construction system for the
Gears (mechs) involving the principle that anything is possible, it's just
more expensive, complex and buggy.  A tank with 0-100 mph in 2.4 seconds
and armed with 12 field guns is perfectly possible - the engineers *will*
make it fit in - it'll just have more flaws in the design.  It's quite
good (recommmended investigation).

The same principle could be applied to biological entities.  Giving a
creature lots of perks like infra-red vision, massive chase speed &
camoflage (desert) could come up with random flaws like rear blind spot,
unable to cope with normal temperatures (extreme heat only), must lounge
around all day and also smelly. :)

_O_O_  Elec Eng Dept, Loughborough University, UK.     kllo at iee.org

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.