[MUD-Dev] Re: How to represent a 3d object...

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Wed Apr 29 15:48:31 CEST 1998

On Fri, 24 Apr 98 19:43:30 -0700
Ben Greear<greear at cyberhighway.net> wrote:

> The two big questions are: what kind of data structure should I use
> for in-memory storage, and how to encode this for storage in a
> persistant storage mechanism.  I can see advantages of allowing only
> three vertices to protrude from any given node, but perhaps other
> systems are better?

I'd start off by spending a goodly while at the Stony Brook Algorithsm
site.  I'm a big fan of data structures representing their functional
requirements.  Good resources off the top of the cranium:

  <URL:http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~algorith/>
  <URL:http://www.PerfectUnison.com.au/GDM/articles/index.html>
  <URL:http://www.phoaks.com/comp/graphics/algorithms/index.html>
  <URL:http://reality.sgi.com/bspfaq/>
  <URL:http://www.csh.rit.edu/~pat/misc/3dFaq.html>
  <URL:http://www.cs.duke.edu/~jeffe/compgeom/>
  <URL:http://www.io.com/~paulhart/game/>
  <URL:http://www.scs.ryerson.ca/~h2jang/gfx_c.html>
  <URL:http://www.arlut.utexas.edu/~itgwww/3DWorkGroup/>
  <URL:http://www.wotsit.demon.co.uk/3dgfx.htm>
  <URL:http://www.acm.org/tog/resources/SPD/overview.html>
  <URL:http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/info/graphics/>

<<As taken from my bookmarks file>>

> There must be some standard way of representing this on disk, does
> anyone have any pointers??

Nope.  None at all.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com

MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.