[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD Development Digest

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Thu Apr 30 14:25:37 CEST 1998

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998 22:44:46 -0500 (CDT)
Cat <cat at bga.com> wrote:

> Well, for a commercial game server, I can't imagine why I'd want to
> let other people run on the system, or run any major processes other
> than the game.  Of course I understand that in most of the mud
> development world things are different, with servers often running
> on Unix machines at universities that are used for all manner of
> other things at the same time.  The fact that I'm from another
> planet and speak a different language is probably why I don't
> participate in discussions about mud development too often, I just
> go and do it.  :X)

Its worth noting that just under 15% of the current membership base
are subscribed from a university address, and that that percentage is
falling rapidly.  It is of course more than possible that many members
are students, but are not subscribing from university accounts.

> My goals are to have the largest and most successful game in
> history, to bring all mankind closer together, put an end to all
> war, and make enough money to be considered the Bill Gates of the
> online gaming industry (or maybe the Walt Disney - less people hate
> him.)  If I only achieve some small percentage of that, then it's ok
> too.

Ahh.  I'm nowhere near materialistic or egotistic enough for that.  My
goals are much simpler: to irrevocably alter the base function of
western society thru the injection of infectious philosophical memes
contracted via the game I provide.  Then again, perhaps I am
egotisical enough, at least this week.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com

MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.