[MUD-Dev] Re: Blender: free version

Adam Wiggins adam at mail.angel.com
Tue Aug 4 11:46:56 CEST 1998

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:
> I read good things about this product (Wiggins can probably comment
> better):
>
> URL:http://www.neogeo.nl/blender.html

I experimented with it a bit when it was first released, haven't checked
out the latest versions though.  It's definitely full-featured, but the
interface is obtuse to the point of incomprehensibility.  Obviously this
was a program created long before any sort of UI standard for GUI
programs, or 3D modelers, had emerged.  (An example: the main menu is
brought up by holding down shift-A and then pressing the left mouse
button.)  As a matter of fact, it reminds me very strongly of the internal
modeling tool we have here at Angel - it was created at a time when you
couldn't do real-time modeling on anything but an SGI, and UI design was
very haphazard, especially since the product evolved over a long period of
time.

It is probably the best free modeling program I've ever encountered, if
you can figure it out.  However, I am continuing my attempts to get NewTek
to port Lightwave to PC UNIX platforms, since I'd really much rather use
that.  (Contact me if you'd like to help, I put up a post on slashdot
about it recently, as well as SVLUG, KPLUG, and Linux Journal.)

Adam