[MUD-Dev] Re: World Creation Notes, version 061098

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Tue Aug 4 18:27:50 CEST 1998

On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 18:53:37 -0400 (CST)
Mike L Kesl<mlkesl at cpinternet.com> wrote:

> Something that crossed my mind in brainstormign was to have each
> room divided into positions. I do not think they would be objects
> themselves, but instead maybe they would just make up that object we
> call the room (i.e. making the room a container of these positions)
> With this plan I think you could do a lot of stuff, specifically
> with combat I am thinking, but also with movement (which would be a
> part of the combat), this would be good for rranged fighting as well
> as limiting the number of attackers in a melee fight to the 6?
> attackers around a certain "heroic" defender in the middle, if you
> were in fact using a 6 sided positioning scheme in the room. Another
> option would be to simply give rooms a size. For example, maybe a
> wagon could not go down this alley because it's size was too small,
> better yet give the room height and width dimensions. Going this way
> leads me to think that perhaps a system based on such a large
> minimum unit size (a room) is not ideal. I mean, you could go around
> making the smallest unit size one meter or something, then you could
> get real complicated, as well as end up serving quake :p

Search the early days of this list, especially the (very incompleat
(sorry!)) 1996 archives and early 1997.  I used coordinate spaces
within rooms for quite a while before I abandoned them when I also
dropped the entire room concept.

There's some good data back there.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net