[MUD-Dev] Re: Interesting poll

John Bertoglio alexb at internetcds.com
Tue Aug 4 18:53:15 CEST 1998

From: Koster, Raph <rkoster at origin.ea.com>
Date: Monday, August 03, 1998 4:02 PM

>Of course, this is colored by the fact that the UO playerbase is already
>a self-selected group,

Actually it is a self-selected sub-group. One would assume the people who
play UO AND visit fan web pages would represent the more "commited" players.
This pool may or may not represent the views of the UO universe as a whole.

>but it's still interesting in the context of
>recent threads:

It is interesting and still valid since the opinions of "commited" fans of a
product are of special interest to the management and often have a
disproportionate affect on general opinion.

>----
>Would you prefer UO be a world of peace, where the only conflict is man
>vs. monster? Thus meaning there would be no player vs. player conflict.
>No theifs, no player killing, no guildwar.
>
>                                         [1180 votes total]
>Yes, I favor a Man vs Beast Only world                         285(24%)
>No, I'd rather deal with player killers, theifs, and guildwar  798(67%)
>I am a thief, PK, or participate regularly in guildwar          97(8%)
>----

No real surprise here. Our limited experience with online polls (we produce
an online polling product) shows a remarkable tracking with local opinion
studied more formally.

(If you ever want a research formal study of the UO player-base, give me a
call at Pulse Research, Inc. (my parent company) and we will knock one out
for you. We have a 24 station phone room with a very skilled crew.)

>-Raph

PS: My son has (temporarily, I assume) abandoned UO and is
playing....Legends! He found it on his own through Mudconnector and is
having a grand time. His capsule review to this point suggest some annoyance
with some of the standard mud stuff (having your gear disappear if you don't
log off correctly, etc.) but loves the environment and the (real) people. He
likes the fact he can run to the bathroom without having to hide because he
won't get killed. Perhaps an invitation to participate in the beta test of
the new UO world would get him back into UO...?

John A. Bertoglio