[MUD-Dev] RE: [IDEAS] Starting from scratch

Leach Leach
Thu Aug 6 12:30:27 CEST 1998

Franklyn Colebrooke, Jr. wrote:
> What I will be using is MSVC++ 5.0 (will get six when it's released)
> Win98.

I would go for NT if its an option for you. Win9x seems plagued with
instability problems.

<Snip>

> How practical is MFC for the job or creating a server for the
> aforementioned ideas?

I havent actually played with the MFC a great deal, but my co-imp has.
After a few days of playing around, he trashed everything he had written
and wrote the server using straight winsock and other win32 specific
api's. I know SmaugWiz (A Win32 port of Smaug), was written using MSVC++
5.0, and uses the MFC in several cases. Offhand, I think there is a link
to the source from <URL:http://ftp.game.org/smaug> (I may be wrong
though, and I dont have a web browers handy to check, sorry). There is
probably overhead with the MFC. I guess it comes down to how efficent vs
maintainable you want your server to be. :-)

Just on the topic of maintainability, has anyone implemented the
platform-independant server code using a design pattern of the "Bridge"?
(Design Patterns, Gof) I prefer to work on a Unix platform, but my
co-imp likes Win32. The "Bridge" seemes like a nice pattern to solve
this problem, but at what cost of performance?

Cheers,
-Brad

<sig snipp'ed>