[MUD-Dev] Re: Ethernet NICS, maximum connections..mud testing.

Vadim Tkachenko vt at freehold.crocodile.org
Sat Aug 8 23:27:35 CEST 1998

Ben Greear wrote:

[skipped]

> My conclusions:  It aint the NIC that will kill you.  I need to
> optimize some server code.  Java on Linux is still real slow!

Sliding away: Try to run the same test on JDK 1.2b4 (important) on
Solaris/x86 (I have one) or Solaris/SPARC (I don't, for the moment).

unset LC_CTYPE and LOCALE, otherwise it would drop core.
set THREADS_FLAG=green

Using the same thread test as before, well, I just hold my breath. I
guess, you'd be surprised, too.

Other surprise is its behavior with the native threads - have anyone out
there seen Solaris load average of 130 (one hundred thirty)?

Don't have Windows now, so I'm not guessing the performance there. Last
time (with JDK 1.1 and 1.2b3) it was better, but was blowing with
OutOfMemoryError instead of performance degradation - maybe this time it
changed?

> Would anyone be interested in my java tester program?

Yes.

--
Still alive and smile stays on,
Vadim Tkachenko <vt at freehold.crocodile.org>