[MUD-Dev] Re: ADMIN: Advertising on MUD-Dev

Richard Woolcock KaVir at dial.pipex.com
Sun Aug 9 12:45:40 CEST 1998

Adam Wiggins wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Vadim Tkachenko wrote:
> > Second that. I guess I live in a bad place to have the Internet access,
> > and pay $20/mo for, in fact, 28.8 connection - somewhere you can get
> > almost T1 for that. Well, it's about one meal's cost, rihgt? You can
> > live without that one meal per month, huh?
>
> A few ISPs (including my old one, inficad.com) offer telnet access for as
> little as $8 a month.  My new one (ixpres.com) costs me $14 a month for
> full PPP.  So to add my two cents, yes - I think it's completely
> reasonable to not allow advertisement tags on poster's emails.  As Chris
> pointed out, if you don't have a 'real' ISP, how can you expect to play
> muds anyways?

I'm inclined to agree with both of you; my only concern is the occasional
good poster from a freemail account (eg Quzah) who's input we might well
loose.

Out of interest, how will mud adverts be affected by such a ban (particularly
those in .sig's)?

KaVir.

P.S: Just be glad you don't live in the UK - I spend about $25/month on my ISP,
which pales in comparison to my (on average) $150/month phone bill (that's just
for the calls to my provider).