[MUD-Dev] Re: lurker emerges

Adam J. Thornton adam at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Sun Aug 9 13:23:10 CEST 1998

On Sun, Aug 09, 1998 at 10:05:44AM -0600, Chris Gray wrote:
> I was surprised to see the note on the thttp page that Linux can't
> pass fd's from one process to another. That was a subject that came up
> earlier this week. The man pages on Linux contain info on how to do it,
> so I had assumed it worked. Perhaps not, or perhaps the thttp people
> had only looked at a quite old version of Linux.

I'm the one working on this.

sendmsg does seem to have some weirdness under Linux in that the wrapper
function from Stevens' Unix Network Programming doesn't work out of the
box, and the man pages I have from Linux claim it's not supported.  The man
pages haven't been updated since 0.99.1, though, so I'll bet it actually
*does* work.  In a few days I should know.

sendmsg certainly exists in /usr/include/sys/socket.h, so if it doesn't
work I shall be surprised.  My guess is that the thttpd guys didn't bother
to check beyond doing "man sendmsg" and seeing "not supported."

Adam
adam at princeton.edu
"There's a border to somewhere waiting, and a tank full of time." - J. Steinman