[MUD-Dev] Re: Marion's Tailor Problem

Damion Schubert zjiria at texas.net
Fri Aug 21 21:49:48 CEST 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Jynx (Wyrm / Tygr / Myth) Ryn <jynx_ryn at mindless.com>
> That way, if the tailor doesn't want to get killed,
>he/she could stay in a town ( where there is a STRONG deterent ).

Which brings up the next logical point.  The 'town'
problem has already been solved on a lot of MUDs.
Even in the oft-criticized UO, if a tailor stays in town
never joins a guild in war and never engages in
illegal activities, that tailor is perfectly, 100% safe,
due to guards that teleport in and kill offenders
instantly.  From there, you can go (even!) less realistic,
and ban attacking in towns altogether, or more
realistic with carefully plotted guard AI, etc, etc.
I'm content that we can solve the 'tailor in town'
problem.

The problem is that tailors don't want to stay in
town.  Why would they?  Anyplace, real or virtual,
gets old after awhile. And when you get killed as
soon as you step beyond the city walls, your cozy
little tailor shop turns into a prison.  Which brings
up two questions:
    1) Is there any way we can allow the tailor to
        see/visit the outside world?
    2) Is the tailor entitled to see/visit 'dangerous'
        parts of the world, without fear of reprisal?

--damion