[MUD-Dev] Re: Finer points of Telnet programming ...

Marc Hernandez marc at jb.com
Sun Aug 23 01:05:37 CEST 1998

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, Jynx (Wyrm / Tygr / Myth) Ryn wrote:

}platform I have run into a building block. How does TELNET
}programming WORK? For the life of me I can't figure it out.

	You basically open a socket, 'accept' incoming connections (which
opens individual sockets for them) and service them at appropriate times.
A good intro to socket programming is:
<http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~beej/guide/net/>
	There are of course many fine points about socket programming, but
it should get you started.

}If anybody can help me with TELNET ( C++ perferably, C
}alternately ) I'd appreciate it greatly.

	I wrote a set of socket classes in a day (then threw  it away and
redesigned/coded it again).  It is fairly easy to wrap the C stuff and
make it portable.

Marc Hernandez		marc at eisoftware.com
Programmer		www.eisoftware.com