[MUD-Dev] Re: Finer points of Telnet programming ...

quzah quzah at geocities.com
Sun Aug 23 00:57:13 CEST 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Jynx (Wyrm / Tygr / Myth) Ryn <jynx_ryn at mindless.com>
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: Sunday, August 23, 1998 12:31 AM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Finer points of Telnet programming ...

>I have been programming on a circleMUD based MUD for about a
>year now, and, well, I have ( and I admit this task is just
>a slight bit nutty, but I feel I am in good company for it.
>) recently taken intrest in programming a MUD from scratch,
>and have been attempting to learn such things as database
>handling, script parsing, handling time, multiple users, and
>other such esoteric techniques. On my quest to build another
>platform I have run into a building block. How does TELNET
>programming WORK? For the life of me I can't figure it out.
>
>I have the design of what I want in a mud ( vaguely
>Diku-esque ), and have most of the rest of the stuff down.
>If anybody can help me with TELNET ( C++ perferably, C
>alternately ) I'd appreciate it greatly.
>
>- Jynx Ryn
>- The Complex Man with A Simple Signiture

I'm not sure if you mean socket programming, or something
more specific, as I'm far from guru-hood. ;) But anyway, if
you are not familiar with network socket programming, then
here's a link that was pointed out to me at one time:

http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~beej/guide/net/

Beej's Guide to Network Programming. (Also, you could
search the archives for .. Aw, hell, here it is:

http://devplanet.fastethernet.net/sscript.html

Socket script, which was I believe first posted by JC.
Hope that helps. If not, ah well, I tried.
-Q-