[MUD-Dev] Re: Modular MUD

Sat Aug 29 00:35:50 CEST 1998

Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

> and I'm very disappointed in the Sidewinder 3D Pro). But when I sit down to
> work on my computer, I can work faster and better and more comfortably in
> Windows 98 (which has crashed on me exactly ONCE since I installed it two
> days after release, and if that's "buggy as hell" then I have this bridge I
> can sell you) than I ever have in any other O/S. And I figure if you can
> say that about whatever you're using, you're on the right operating system.

Well, I'm not too worried about Windows being buggy or about loose pointers
or other bugrelated matters. What I worry about is how well it runs over a
long period of time. Microsoft is very much a "what does the average
potential buyer of this product demand" type of company, so I simply do not
believe that they have focused enough on long term stability with
Windows95.   Maybe this is just my glasses being foggy or something, but I
have noticed a slowdown in performance at the end of longer sessions
(10hours+), which would suggest that Windows95 has a somewhat sloppy
cleaningup department.

Besides, do you expect the admin to dedicate a machine to the MUD, or should
(s)he be able to say, run MSWord, at the same time?  If you expect the user
to dedicate a machine to the task then you could simply let the user admin
the MUD from a remote client with a simple and neat GUI?

> Hey, does anyone know where I can buy an Atari ST at a reasonable price? Or
> an Amiga? Between Apple, Amiga, and Atari, it occurs to me that I have
> never been really proficient at programming any computer that starts with
> an A. ;)

Atari is basically, err something not so great, with GEM on top.  AmigaOS
was neat in the late eighties when you counted MBs and MHz on one hand. (OS
overhead was reasonable in % of available resources). Things may have
changed since CBM went down the drain, but I doubt it is anything to be too
excited about.  The only OS I really would like to have used is MULTICS, but
of course, nobody has...

I've got this stupid idea, that one could take the core of Linux and turn it
into a MULTICS inspired mud engine, but... not my cup of tea, really.
--
Ola Fosheim Groestad,Norway