[MUD-Dev] Re: [DevMUD] Error tolerant UDP data streams

Darren Henderson darren at jasper.somtel.com
Mon Dec 7 21:36:55 CET 1998

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:

> Previously we've discussed using UDP with its known lack of error
> correction or stream sequencing to create error tolerant data
> streams ("frames" really as any imposition of sequencing is purely
> data-centric).  The basic goal of the idea is probably best
> expressed by the following:

Hmmm...first message I've seen from this list in a while.

I would point out that UDP is probably a poor choice for client
communication for a reason other then the lack of error correction, (which
can be overcome). A lot of firewalls do not deal gracefully with udp (do
any?), especially those who are doing NAT or the like. You are essentially
forced to map certain addresses to an internal destination. A _lot_ of
users operate from behind a firewall.

Darren Henderson                              darren at jasper.somtel.com

                   Help fight junk e-mail, visit http://www.cauce.org/