[MUD-Dev] Re: More Laws, was Re: DIS: Client-Server vs Peer-t o-Peer

Koster Koster
Fri Dec 18 17:16:34 CET 1998

Yeah, simialr, though I think Richard's is actually broader in scope. I
actually often use the above as an argument against having a highly
restrictive PK switch system in a game. If it reaches the point where
people are prevented from forming groups that cross the PK-switch
divide, then it is actually hampering player interaction (ex: PvP-off
player not allowed to group with PvP-on player, or not allowed to heal
him, etc).

> > "Caveat: unless they are features that reinforce identity=20
> of the player
> > or his group as separate from others (such as secret languages)."
> >
>=20
> Hmm.. Does this keep players from playing together?  Is there any
> experiences with this? In some (noncommercial) games I think=20
> it does. The
> ones where monster-players only speak a language which is=20
> incompatible with
> hereos, but that is perhaps somewhat too hardcore RP...

That is the kind of thing I was getting at. If you have player =
languages
and DON'T have a "common" tongue, then groups that might be desirable
(elves & humans) won't form because of the language barrier, even =
though
it might be desirable. Another good example might be vampires. If you
make a vampire type that cannot hang out in the tavern, can't be out in
the sun, and is otherwise a total pain in the ass to play with your
non-vamp friends, then it's probbaly detrimental--unless being a =
vampire
is something totally cool that provides a real sense of identity,
ideally with whole vamp families and the like, which can provide a
strong built-in community precisely *because* the group is more
isolated.

-Raph