[MUD-Dev] Re: More Laws, was Re: DIS: Client-Server vs Peer-t o-Peer

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Mon Dec 21 15:41:11 CET 1998

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 17:16:34 -0600
Koster, Raph<rkoster at origin.ea.com> wrote:

> That is the kind of thing I was getting at. If you have player
> languages and DON'T have a "common" tongue, then groups that might
> be desirable (elves & humans) won't form because of the language
> barrier, even though it might be desirable. Another good example
> might be vampires. If you make a vampire type that cannot hang out
> in the tavern, can't be out in the sun, and is otherwise a total
> pain in the ass to play with your non-vamp friends, then it's
> probbaly detrimental--unless being a vampire is something totally
> cool that provides a real sense of identity, ideally with whole
> vamp families and the like, which can provide a strong built-in
> community precisely *because* the group is more isolated.

To quote:

  "I'm gonna be different -- just like all those people over there!"

Differentiation is important, but only if there is sufficient
population on BOTH sides of the divide.  Its a market economics
question.  Its not market share, it is market size, where the
society and social dynamics of that society are the econimic
currency of the market.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
(Contractor)                             Internet: coder at kanga.nu
---------(*)                    Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...