[MUD-Dev] Source Code Release

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Wed Feb 11 17:56:21 CET 1998

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Richard Woolcock wrote:

> Greg Munt wrote:
> >
> > This is something I've wanted to post on, for a number of weeks. My own
> > project will be shoving out all of the development docs onto the web:
> > specification, design, testing, etc. Shoving out the source code would be
> > a natural extension of this. BUT.
> >
> > I am wary of what will happen to my code - what it will be used to create
> > - once I have made it available to the general public.
>

> I did consider deliberately putting in a number of compilation bugs to
> put off the totally clueless (ie you would have to make some fixes before
> being able to compile and therefore run it), but the trouble is I just KNOW
> that someone will fix those bugs and release their own 'version'.

I'd go back door all the way :)  Clueless ppl won't find it, even with the
source before their eyes...  Someone would probably fix it.  And they
might be a little ill at ya too!!  Then they could go in all the back
doors they pleased...hrm..

Maybe not such a good idea :P