[MUD-Dev] The impact of the web on muds

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Wed Feb 11 18:03:13 CET 1998

On 20/01/98 at 10:12 PM, "Brandon J. Rickman" <ashes at pc4.zennet.com> said:

>The point isn't to argue against graphic-based muds but rather to figure
>out how to introduce the good qualities of text muds to a 2- or 3-D mud.
>Often 3D designers use level of detail (LOD) to "simplify" objects that
>may be far away from the user.  It is a practical concern: too many
>polygons will slow down the graphics, and since things in the distance
>are so small, no one will notice or care if they have less  detail.  But
>why "things in the distance" and not "things of no current interest"?

Problem: "Ooo!  That object is show with a high detail level: there must
be something interesting about it that will help me in the game." and
variations.  The other big problem is that "interest" is defined by
intent, and intent is a really dicey thing to have a game attempt to
determine (tho I'm going to try it).

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net