[MUD-Dev] Wild west (was Guilds & Politics)

JC Lawrence claw at under.Eng.Sun.COM
Mon Jan 5 14:45:17 CET 1998

On Sat, 27 Dec 1997 15:48:43 PST8PDT Ola wrote:
> coder at ibm.net wrote:
>>> Ola wrote:

I don't know whose the following paragraph is:

  ....mention, it preserves the timeline.  I made a prototype
  environment or case handling a while back that used this for
  determining whether a case had followed the rules or not.  The
  system also provided a set of legal actions which were determined
  by parsing the history (log) of the case.  (Used extended RE.)

> Are you doing this in your system?

No.  I'm doing DB rollbacks.

>> Want to see exactly what happened on Main St yesterday at 16:03?
>> Just go to that location on Main St, walk back thru time to 16:05,
>> and then resume normal time flow.  You'll see everything that
>> happened there, exactly as it happened, exactly as if you had been
>> standing there at the time (except that you won't be affected by
>> anything).

> Ok, but on what level is this observation done?

> I split concepts into at least 3 levels:

> - World level - Room level ("field of view" if the system doesn't
> involve rooms) - Avatar level

As answered previously, all three.

> Yeah, but as I mentioned before, from what I can tell your world
> will not make the user feel "at home".  That is, it doesn't allow
> you to transfer too much of your RL knowledge to the world.

True.  I'm not attempting to make a virtual simulacrum of RL or a
fantasy RL in some fashion.  The idea of spending all this effort and
capability on making a very poor copy of a pretty poorly designed
system is not atractive.  I'm much more making an intellectual toy.

> Most
> worlds tries to create a "real" world, therefore users have no
> reason to expect exessive logging.

<shrug>

I'd do the same logging in a more RL-like world as well.  Its all data
on my systems, and thus grist for the mill.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
                                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
----------(*)                        Internet: jc.lawrence at sun.com