[MUD-Dev] request for comments (was: Mud-Dev FAQ)

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 5 16:05:54 CET 1998

On  5 Jan 98 at 9:10, Vadim Tkachenko wrote:

I think you might have misunderstood.  This was a list of topics
we have discussed on the list since February 97.  That's not to say
they shouldn't be revisited. :)

> Jon A. Lambert wrote:
> >
> >  Methods of handling coordinate spaces: neighborhoods, tree forms
> >  R-Trees, R*-Trees, 3d arrays, Quad/Oct trees
>
> What are R-Trees and R*-Trees?

There was a single, lengthy and informative post explaining these trees.
I will search for it and repost it, unless someone finds it and posts
it first.

> >  Variations on event-driven design
>
> Can you please elaborate on that?

I am undertaking a summary of this thread.

> >  Telnet protocol and terminal emulation
>
> Have you implemented telnet yourself? I have a draft Java telnet
> implementation, the concept is: you treat the telnet session object as a
> container, and as soon as you add the telnet options to the container,
> it starts to support them, and performs negotiations based on which
> options have been added - you may want to take look at that

No, I'm anti-Telnet. (hehe)

> >  Design of Object IDs and Object ID recycling
>
> ???

Another good candidate for a summary.

> >  Virtual rooms, virtual objects, virtual mobiles
>
> ???

I have no idea.  Maybe JC Lawrence knows more about this one?

> >  Sending mail from within a mud server
>
> SMTP?

This is a current topic.  :)

> >  Web vs. Telnet
>
> Why not 'Web AND telnet'?

Another currently active topic.

--
Jon A. Lambert
"Everything that deceives may be said to enchant" - Plato