[MUD-Dev] You, the game of philosophy.

JC Lawrence claw at under.Eng.Sun.COM
Wed Jan 7 17:28:18 CET 1998

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998 16:07:14 PST8PDT Ola wrote:

> JC Lawrence <claw at under.Eng.Sun.COM> wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Dec 1997 15:49:27 PST8PDT Ola wrote:

>>> Hey, this is a great idea.  Let the world consist of a fixed set
>>> of characters, let people pick up available characters and play
>>> them....
>>  Its definitely a "neat" idea, and very attractive intellectually,
>> however I'd have a hard time ever thinking of this as either "fun"
>> or a game.

> Well, JC, when I talk about muds in general I think about what would
> appeal to a larger audience.  When I talk about RPing then I talk
> about what I personally would enjoy.

Quite -- I do similarly except that I don't add the RP criteria.  In
this particular case I have difficulty seeing the scenario as
presented, ejoyable.  As stated above, I agree that it is a
fascinating concept.

> I'm not particularly interested in the game part of regular online
> games.  The gamepart usually sucks compared to well-crafted
> singleuser games.

Ahh -- for me the entire thing is a game.  This is of course implicit
in my view that life as a whole (and in its details), is a game.

>> But, getting back to the point, the repertoire is infinite and
>> endlessly malleable.

> Infinite?  Yeah, if you have an ever-expanding mind and live
> forever.. (It is finite formally :^)

Nahh, infinite...

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
                                           Internet: coder at ibm.net