[MUD-Dev] Wild west (was Guilds & Politics)

JC Lawrence claw at under.Eng.Sun.COM
Wed Jan 7 17:49:25 CET 1998

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998 17:19:15 PST8PDT Ola wrote:
> JC Lawrence <claw at under.Eng.Sun.COM> wrote:
>> [Ola:]

>>> The analogy falls short, where the legal responsibilities of the
>>> owner are concerned. The owner of the company may not terminate an
>>> employee's employment with the company, because of personal
>>> enmity, for example.

>>  Technically true, but false in practice even in countries with
>> strong enforced laws to that effect.  The employee still ends up
>> fired, its just that the stated reason is different, or that extra
>> effort is expended to create a legally supportable reason for
>> terminating the employee.  Nothing has actually really changed, its
>> just made the stakes a bit higher and altered the presentation.

> Falsification: go look at norwegian rulings.

I can't comment on Norwegian ruling specifically.  I can comment on
French, Swedish, Danish, Japanese, and Swiss.  All have similar laws
to the ones you reference in Norway -- and in all of them I'm very
well aware of various techniques used by companies to offload
employees they find undesirable for whatever reason.

Remember: The reason given need have no relation to the actual cause
for the action.  The most common method is to put the employee in a
position which either forces them to quit, or (and this is often one
and the same) where they will fail so atrociously that they can freely
be terminated.  While they are not named so on the books, I know of a
few firms that have an internal fund which the expenses for these
actions are tallied against so that they are counted as a normal
tax-deductable loss in the line of business.

> You wish, but you are essentially wrong.  Besides, reasonable laws
> and trials contributes to the norms of the society.

I shall agree to disagree.

> You are a mechanical pessimist JC!

<chortle>

Nahh.  I believe that life often behaves mechanically, and that while
life has no requirement to behave mechanically, until the quality of
Man is improved, the tendency is and will be to behave in mechnical
(cf predictable) fashions.  Individuals, as always, break the rules,
and are to be honoured for that.  Entire species or other large groups
rarely to never do.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
                                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
----------(*)                        Internet: jc.lawrence at sun.com